Talks and presentations:
- Data Processing on the Fast Lane. Talk at the SAP Hana Tech Days, Santa Cruz, CA; June, 2016
- Accelerating Data Science. Talk at EPFL, April, 2016, and at TU Munich, June, 2016
- Generalization versus Specialization in cloud computing infrastructures. Keynote at IC2E 2016 (IEEE International Conference on Cloud Engineering), Berlin, Germany; April, 2016
- Data Processing in Modern Hardware. Keynote at EDBT 2016, Bourdeaux, France; March, 2016
- Data Processing and New Hardware. Talks at Hong Kong Polytechnic University (HK
PolyU) and Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST). January, 2016
- The case for custom systems development. Keynote at ACM Systor'14. Haifa, Israel (June, 2014).
- Rackscale computing - the things that matter. Invited Talk at the 1st Workshop on Rackscale Computing, April, 2014 - EuroSys 2014, Amsterdam, the Netherlands.
- Crazy little thing called hardware. Lecture at the 7th School on Hot Topics in Distributed Computing, March, 2014, La Plagne, France.
- Heterogeneous architectures for data centers. Invited Talk at the Xilinx Emergency Technology Symposium, San Jose (CA), USA (February, 2014).
- Adapting data processing to modern workloads. Distinguished Lecture at TU Darmstadt. November, 2013.
- Extended version of the "Performance in the multicore era" given at UMass at Amherts, at MIT, at IBM Almaden (May-June, 2013), and at the Technion Computer Engineering Center (June, 2014)
- SwissBox: redesigning systems from the ground up. Talk given at IBM Rüschlikon (March,2013) and at the New England Database Seminar (NEDS) at the University of Brandeis, May, 2013.
- Performance in the multicore era. Talk at CWI, Amsterdam, The Netherlands. March, 2013.
- Hardware killed the Software star. Keynote at IEEE ICDE 2013, Brisbane, Australia. April, 2013. Also given at Oracle Labs, USA (June, 2013) and at TU Darmstadt, Germany (November, 2013)
- New generation of data processing appliances. C Seminar@Corporate Research, ABB Corporate Research Center, Baden, Switzerland (November, 2012)
- Multicore in Data Appliances, invited talk at the 18th CREST Open Workshop, University College London, March 2012.
- Andrei Popovici, Gustavo Alonso: Dynamic Weaving for Aspect oriented programming - a 10 Year Perspective. Talk given at ASOD 2012 in Postdam, Germany for the Most influential Paper Award awarded to the paper published at AOSD'02.
- Databases in the Cloud. Avaloq Developers Conference. Zürich, Switzerland. June, 2011.
- SwissBox: Revisiting the data processing software stack. Invited talk at the Department of Computer Science, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany, December 2010.
- Gustavo Alonso and Bettina Kemme: Database Replication.Talk given for the 2010 VLDB 10 Year Best Paper Award. VLDB 2010, Singapore, September 2010.
- Cloud Computing and its Impact on Computer Science. Keynote, XV Jornadas de Ingeniería del Software y Bases de Datos, JISBD 2010, Valencia, Spain, September, 2010.
- Wolken kosten Geld Talk at the 2010 ELCA Update, Olten, Switzerland, June 2010.
- The Ganymed approach to scalable and extensible database architectures. Colloquium talk at IfI, University of Zürich (March, 2008).
- Challenges and Opportunities for Formal Specifications in Service Oriented Architectures . Keynote talk at Petri Nets 2008 (29th International Conference on Application and Theory of Petri Nets and Other Models of Concurrency), Xi'an, China, June 2008.
- Myth and Realities of Sensor Network Data Management. Keynote talk at DMSN'07 (4th International Workshop on Data Management for Sensor Networks, at VLDB 2007), Vienna, Austria, September, 2007.
- SwissQM: a Virtual Machine for Sensor Networks. Talk given at the University of Waterloo (Canada), TU Darmstadt (Germany), and the University of Bolzano (Italy), 2007.
The Service Revolution - software engineering without the burden of programming languages. Keynote at IEEE ECOWS'06. Zürich, Switzerland (December, 2006).
- Application development and SOA. Invited talk at the inauguration of the Hasso Plattner Institute Research School. University of Postdam, Germany (June, 2006).