What is ThumbsUp?
ThumbsUp is intended for Windows. It writes the thumbnail pictures
contained in a Thumbs.db file to a set of JPG files. It is written in
Java and uses the Apache/Jakarta library POI for reading Thumbs.db
How to install and run:
1. Get the apache/jakarta/poi binary and unzip the file
"poi-2.5.1-final-20040804.jar" (or whatever the exact name may be)
into a directory of your choice, usually the one where you keep
third-party libraries. For downloading POI, see
2. Edit the file thumbsup.bat. You have to change the paths
appropriately. Note: ThumbsUp requires Java 1.5.0.
3. Run thumbsup.bat with the following parameters:
thumbsup.bat <path-to-thumbs.db> <out-dir>
4. ThumbsUp reads the file that is given by the first parameter. This
must be a Thumbs.db file, specified by its full path. ThumbsUp then
writes a bunch of JPG files to <out-dir>, which are the
thumbnails conained in the Thumbs.db file.
The binary (jar)
- Get file name information from the Catalog entry (Is this a
FAT like structure? It seems to be scattered across the whole file.)