Timothy Roscoe (Mothy)
STF H 314
Note: My name is Timothy, or Mothy, but not Tim. Why would it be Tim?
I'm a systems research person: I build stuff.
I'm part of the ETH Zürich Computer Science Department's Systems Group. My main research areas are operating systems, distributed systems, and networking, with some critical theory on the side.
I have two main research interests right now:
- Building and using a research computer called Enzian for experimentation with hardware/software codesign for servers.
- Formally specifying the interface between real hardware and systems software
- Monitoring, modelling, simulating, and managing entire datacenters in real-time based on detailed traces from the entire vertical network and software stack, and the systems software required to do this.
- Operating systems for future machines that scale to thousands of cores, adapt to radically heterogeneous architectures, and handle the sheer complexity and diversity of modern hardware platforms.
We're always looking for talented research students who like hacking on large systems. We have a number of projects available in networking, distributed systems, FPGA-based hardware, and OS design and implementation. See the Systems Group web pages for a few ideas, but also email me - we often have more up-to-date proposals available.
If you're thinking of applying for a position in the group:
- If you're interested in a postdoctoral position, following these instructions.
- If you're interested in pursuing a PhD in the group, follow the same instructions. Note that ETH Zurich generally requires you to already have a Masters degree. We do, however, have a so-called Direct Doctorate program for a limited number of high-quality Bachelor students, details are here. You may also find Steven Hand's excellent talk on Doing a Systems PhD useful (for here or elsewhere).
- If you're interested in a Masters degree, admissions are handled centrally in the department. See here for more information, including how to apply. If you specifically want to work with me for your Masters thesis, I suggest selecting the "Distributed Systems" track.
- If you want to simply do an internship, bear in mind that I only take interns under exceptional circumstances. Also, the number of applications I receive for internships is such that I cannot respond to most of them. Your best bet is to apply for our Summer research fellowship program.
I generally teaching the following courses at ETHZ; details can be found on the Systems Group course page:
- Systems Programming and Computer Architecture
- Advanced Computer Systems
- Advanced Operating Systems
- Big Data, Law, and Policy
- Datacenter Networking
Timothy Roscoe has been a Full Professor in the Systems Group of the Computer Science Department at ETH Zurich since 2007. He works on operating systems, networks, and distributed systems, including the Barrelfish research OS and the Strymon high-performance stream processor for datacenter monitoring. He received a PhD in 1995 from the Computer Laboratory of the University of Cambridge, where he was a principal designer and builder of the Nemesis OS.
After three years working on web-based collaboration systems at a startup in North Carolina, Mothy joined Sprint's Advanced Technology Lab in Burlingame, California in 1998, working on cloud computing and network monitoring, and spent time as an Industrial Fellow at the University of California at Berkeley Computer Science department, working with the Oceanstore project.
He joined Intel Research at Berkeley in April 2002 as a principal architect of PlanetLab, an open, shared platform for developing and deploying planetary-scale services, and worked on Declarative Networking, while becoming an Adjunct Professor at Berkeley.
In September 2006 he spent four months as a visiting researcher in the Embedded and Real-Time Operating Systems group at National ICT Australia in Sydney, which was developing the seL4 microkernel
Since joining ETH Zurich he has also spent time at Microsoft Research, Intel Research, and the University of Washington.
His current research interests include monitoring, modelling, and managing complex enterprise datacenters, system software for modern hardware, and system hardware for modern software. He was named Fellow of the ACM in 2013 for contributions to operating systems and networking research.
Some selected recent published papers:
- A model-checked I2C specification, Lukas Humbel, Daniel Schwyn, Nora Hossle, Roni Häcki, Melissa Licciardello, Jan Schär, David Cock, Michael Giardino, Timothy Roscoe. Proceedings of the 27th International SPIN Symposium on Model Checking of Software, July 2021. [PDF]
- mmapx: uniform memory protection in a heterogeneous world, Reto Achermann, David Cock, Roni Haecki, Nora Hossle, Lukas Humbel, Timothy Roscoe, Daniel Schwyn. HotOS '21: Proceedings of the Workshop on Hot Topics in Operating Systems, June 2021, pp. 159–166. [PDF] [ACM]
- The Enzian Coherent Interconnect (ECI): Opening a coherence protocol to research and applications, Abishek Ramdas, David Cock, Timothy Roscoe, Gustavo Alonso. Proceedings of the 2021 Workshop on Languages, Tools, and Techniques for Accelerator Design (LATTE '21), April 2021. [PDF]
- Do OS abstractions make sense on FPGAs?, Dario Korolija, Timothy Roscoe, Gustavo Alonso. 14th USENIX Symposium on Operating Systems Design and Implementation (OSDI'20), USENIX Association, November 2020, pp. 991-1010. [PDF]
- Shared arrangements: practical inter-query sharing for streaming dataflows, Frank McSherry, Andrea Lattuada, Malte Schwarzkopf, Timothy Roscoe. Proceedings of the VLDB Endowment, vol. 13, no. 10, June 2020, pp. 1793–1806. [PDF] [ACM]
- Tackling Hardware/Software co-design from a database perspective, Gustavo Alonso, Timothy Roscoe, David Cock, Mohsen Owaida, Kaan Kara, Dario Korolija, David Sidler, Zeke Wang. Proceedings of the 6th biennial Conference on Innovative Data Systems Research (CIDR), Amsterdam, Netherlands, January 2020. [PDF]
- A fork() in the road, Andrew Baumann, Jonathan Appavoo, Orran Krieger, Timothy Roscoe. Proceedings of the 17th Workshop on Hot Topics in Operating Systems (HotOS-XVII), Bertinoro, Italy, May 2019. [PDF]
- Three steps is all you need: fast, accurate, automatic scaling decisions for distributed streaming dataflows, Vasia Kalavri, John Liagouris, Moritz Hoffmann, Desislava Dimitrova, Matthew Forshaw, Timothy Roscoe. 13th USENIX Symposium on Operating Systems Design and Implementation (OSDI 2018), Carlsbad, CA, USA, October 2018. [PDF]
- Physical Addressing on Real Hardware in Isabelle/HOL, Reto Achemann, Lukas Humbel, David Cock, Timothy Roscoe. 9th International Conference on Interactive Theorem Proving, Oxford, United Kingdom, July 2018. [PDF]
- SnailTrail: Generalizing Critical Paths for Online Analysis of Distributed Dataflows, Moritz Hoffmann, Andrea Lattuada, John Liagouris, Vasiliki Kalavri, Desislava Dimitrova, Sebastian Wicki, Zaheer Chothia, Timothy Roscoe. Proceedings of the 15th Symposium on Networked Systems Design and Implementation (NSDI'18), Renton, WA, USA, April 2018. [PDF]
- Towards Correct-by-Construction Interrupt Routing on Real Hardware, Lukas Humbel, Reto Achemann, David Cock, Timothy Roscoe. 9th Workshop on Programming Languages and Operating Systems (PLOS 2017), Shanghai, China, October 2017. [PDF]
- Separating Translation from Protection in Address Spaces with Dynamic Remapping, Reto Achermann, Chris Dalton, Paolo Faraboschi, Moritz Hoffmann, Dejan Milojicic, Geoffrey Ndu, Alexander Richardson, Timothy Roscoe, Adrian L. Shaw, Robert N. M. Watson. Proceedings of the 16th Workshop on Hot Topics in Operating Systems (HotOS-XVI), Whistler, BC, Canada Ittingen, May 2017. [PDF]
- Online Reconstruction of Structural Information from Datacenter Logs, Zaheer Chothia, John Liagouris, Desislava Dimitrova, Timothy Roscoe. Proceedings of the ACM European Systems Conference (Eurosys 2017), Belgrade, Serbia, April 2017. [PDF] [ACM]
- Formalizing Memory Accesses and Interrupts, Reto Achermann, Lukas Humbel, David Cock, Timothy Roscoe. 2nd Workshop on Models for Formal Analysis of Real Systems (MARS 2017), Uppsala, Sweden, April 2017. [PDF] [ACM]
- SpaceJMP: Programming with Multiple Virtual Address Spaces, Izzat El Hajj, Alexander Merritt, Gerd Zellweger, Dejan Milojicic, Reto Achermann, Paolo Faraboschi, Wen-mei Hwu, Timothy Roscoe, Karsten Schwan. Proceedings of the Twenty-First International Conference on Architectural Support for Programming Languages and Operating Systems (ASPLOS 2016), Atlanta, Georgia, USA, March 2017. [PDF] [ACM]
- Machine-Aware Atomic Broadcast Trees for Multicores, Stefan Kaestle, Reto Achermann, Roni Haecki, Moritz Hoffmann, Sabela Ramos, Timothy Roscoe. Proceedings of the 12th USENIX Symposium on Operating Systems Design and Implementation (OSDI'02), Savannah, GA, USA, November 2016, pp. 33-48. [PDF]
- So many performance events, so little time, Gerd Zellweger, Denny Lin, Timothy Roscoe. Proceedings of the 7th ACM SIGOPS Asia-Pacific Workshop on Systems (APSys '16), Hong Kong, China, August 2016. [PDF] [ACM]
- Customized OS support for data-processing, Jana Giceva, Gerd Zellweger, Gustavo Alonso, Timothy Roscoe. Proceedings of the 12th International Workshop on Data Management on New Hardware (DaMoN '16), June 2016. [PDF] [ACM]
- Arrakis: The Operating System is the Control Plane, Simon Peter, Jialin Li, Irene Zhang, Dan R. K. Ports, Doug Woos, Arvind Krishnamurthy, Thomas Anderson, Timothy Roscoe. ACM Transactions on Computer Systems, ACM Press, New York, NY, USA, vol. 33, no. 4, January 2016, pp. 11:1--11:30. [PDF] [ACM]
- Explaining Outputs in Modern Data Analytics, Zaheer Chothia, John Liagouris, Frank McSherry, Timothy Roscoe. PVLDB, vol. 9, no. 12, 2016, pp. 1137-1148. [PDF] [ACM]
- Deployment of query plans on multicores, Jana Giceva, Gustavo Alonso, Timothy Roscoe, Tim Harris. VLDB 2015Proceedings of the VLDB Endowment, Hawaii, vol. 8, no. 3, August 2015, pp. 233-244. [PDF]
- Shoal: Smart Allocation and Replication of Memory for Parallel Programs, Stefan Kaestle, Reto Achermann, Timothy Roscoe, Timothy L. Harris. Proceedings of the 2015 USENIX Annual Technical Conference, Santa Clara, CA, USA, July 2015. [PDF]
- Distributing the Data Plane for Remote Storage Access, Torsten Hoefler, Robert B. Ross, Timothy Roscoe. Proceedings of the 15th Workshop on Hot Topics in Operating Systems (HotOS-XV), Kartause Ittingen, Switzerland, May 2015. [PDF]
- Not Your Parents' Physical Address Space, Simon Gerber, Gerd Zellweger, Reto Achermann, Kornilios Kourtis, Timothy Roscoe, Dejan Milojicic. Proceedings of the 15th Workshop on Hot Topics in Operating Systems (HotOS-XV), Kartause Ittingen, Switzerland, May 2015. [PDF]
- Decoupling Cores, Kernels, and Operating Systems, Gerd Zellweger, Simon Gerber, Kornilios Kourtis, Timothy Roscoe. 11th Symposium on Operating Systems Design and Implementation (OSDI'14), Broomfield, Colorado, USA, October 2014. [PDF]
At the instigation of Rebecca Isaacs, I wrote a document for the SOSP 2007 Shadow PC entitled "Writing reviews for systems conferences". You can find it here: [PDF].
- USENIX/ACM Operating Systems Design and Implementation (OSDI), 2016. Program co-chair
- USENIX/ACM Operating Systems Design and Implementation (OSDI), 2014.
- 23rd ACM Symposium on Operating Systems Principles (SOSP) (SOSP 2013), 2013.
- USENIX/ACM Operating Systems Design and Implementation (OSDI), 2012.
- 7th ACM Eurosys Conference, 2012.
- EuroSys Roger Needham PhD Award, 2012.
- ACM SIGCOMM, 2011.
- USENIX Annual Technical Conference, 2010. Program co-chair
- 7th USENIX/ACM Symposium on Networked Systems Design and Implementation (NSDI), 2010.
- 22nd ACM Symposium on Operating Systems Principles (SOSP) (SOSP 2009), 2009.
- 4th ACM Eurosys Conference, 2009.
- 12th Workshop on Hot Topics in Operating Systems (HotOS XII) (HotOS XII), 2009.
- 5th USENIX/ACM Symposium on Networked Systems Design and Implementation (NSDI), 2008.
- USENIX Technical Conference, 2008.
- ACM Workshop on Virtual Execution Environments (VEE), 2007.
- 7th IEEE Conference on Peer-to-Peer Systems (P2P), 2007.
- USENIX Technical Conference, 2007.
- 2nd ACM Eurosys Conference, 2007.
- 3rd ACM SIGMOD/VLDB Conference on Innovative Data Systems Research (CIDR), 2007.
- 3rd USENIX/ACM Symposium on Networked Systems Design and Implementation (NSDI), 2006. Program co-chair
- 5th International Workshop on Peer-to-Peer Systems (IPTPS), 2006.
- Second USENIX Workshop on Real, Large Distributed Systems (WORLDS), 2005.
- 21st Annual Computer Security Applications Conference (ACSAC), 2005. "Tech Blitz" committee
- USENIX Technical Conference, 2005.
- 4th International Workshop on Peer-to-Peer Systems (IPTPS), 2005.
- International Symposium on Distributed Objects and Applications (DOA), 2004.
- First USENIX Workshop on Real, Large Distributed Systems (WORLDS), 2004. Program co-chair
- USENIX/ACM Operating Systems Design and Implementation (OSDI), 2004.
- USENIX/ACM Symposium on Networked Systems Design and Implementation (NSDI), 2004.
- 13th International World Wide Web Conference (WWW), 2004. applications track
- 24th International Conference on Distributed Computing Systems (ICDCS), 2004. Multimedia Systems track
- ACM Multimedia, 2003. Systems track
- OPENARCH, 2003.
- USENIX Operating Systems Design and Implementation (OSDI), 2002.
- Interactive Distributed Multimedia Systems / Protocols for Multimedia Systems (IDMS/PROMS), 2002.
- ACM/SPIE Multimedia Computing and Networking (MMCN), 2002.
- 9th International Conference on Network Protocols (ICNP), 2001.
- Interactive Distributed Multimedia Systems (IDMS), 2001.
- ACM/SPIE Multimedia Computing and Networking (MMCN), 2001.
- USENIX Operating Systems Design and Implementation (OSDI), 2000.
- 10th International Workshop on Network and Operating Systems Support for Digital Audio and Video (NOSSDAV), 2000.
- ACM/SPIE Multimedia Computing and Networking (MMCN), 2000.
- ACM/SPIE Multimedia Computing and Networking (MMCN), 1999.
- ACM Multimedia, 1998.
- ACM/SPIE Multimedia Computing and Networking (MMCN), 1998. Program co-chair
- SPIE Multimedia Computing and Networking (MMCN), 1997.
Copyright © Timothy Roscoe 2012, all rights reserved